Yes, we have some Totem Falls Elementary spirit going on in this house. Tyler started the year with the black sweatshirt which he loved (it is black after all). The order forms came around again and he said he wanted a red sweatshirt. Between the time of ordering and arrival he outgrew the black one (must be why he's been eating so much) so Hailey now gets the black one and we are all decked out! We had to do an outdoor picture this month since we at at least 3 or 4 days when it was dry enough to actually go outside. Tyler instantly had spring fever announcing it felt so good to be outside. The kids had a blast rediscovering the backyard and it really was nice to get some fresh air. It's been a long, long rainy winter. The rain is back but we have new hope for warmer, sunnier weather coming.....hopefully soon.
I actually don't have anything too exciting to report this month so I'd better think. Let's see.....
Tyler's taken some big advances (at least in my opinion) in his reading. It's like he all of sudden has some confidence and it's inspiring him. In their classroom each child has a basket of 3 or 4 books that they read during "the daily five" and when they read them to Mrs. Guzman 2 times they get a new set of books. Some of us parents have been requesting some good readers for home use. So, Mrs. Guzman has started sending they new readers home each week on Thursday (to be returned Monday). So, I get to have Tyler read me his books for the first time (the first time he sees them is when they come home in his pack). I've been very impressed. He's reading. He has hardly needed my help (we are working on a little b and d confusion) and every week, I realize just how much he has learned this year. He's come such a long way. This month we also slowly worked our way through The Cat and the Hat. He read me a couple pages each day. And he was able to do it....great! Yesterday he came home from school and said, "Did you know I can read Hop on Pop?". And then he sat down and read the whole thing to me. It's great book because it's long but there are not a lot of words on each page. So he was able to get through the whole thing in one sitting. I was so proud and so was he. He even said, "I kind of like reading to myself."
And we can't under estimate Hailey either. We are still reading Dinosaur Cove books with her. Her first chapter book series (she's already on book 5). She always follows along when we read, asking where we are when we get lost. I've never really asked before because I don't want to push her (she's so young) but today I got curious. So I asked if she could read a whole sentence to me. Well, she up and read a whole ten page chapter without stopping and I think I only had to correct about 15 words. I don't how much she is retaining of what she reads but that girl is a definite sight reader. She's so bright.....if I do say so myself.
Dave had his annual Spring Training trip to Arizona with his brothers. It sounds like he had a great time though he missed his Hailey about as much as she missed him. Hopefully it was a nice break for him. He doesn't get much of a break. When he's not at work, he's full time daddy. There's not much rest for the weary around here.
It's been the usual for me. Hanging around the house with the kids and working in our spare time. One exciting bit of news is I've been busy planning a family vacation. Yippie. We are going to go to Legoland and Disneyland in May. I am very excited. I think Hailey is going to have a blast. She was only just 2 years old on our last plane trip and doesn't remember a thing. This should be a big deal for her...plane, hotel, and all the excitement in CA. Of course it will be a big deal for Ty too. I'm sure we will come back tired but I think it will be so much fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment