April has come and gone. It seems like Spring should have been here to celebrate our activities with us but we had a cold/rainy wintry month. We did have a couple of sunny Spring days but each day was immediately followed by more down pour and us bundling back up in sweatshirts. The biggest even of the month was Hailey's birthday. Hard to believe she is now 4. The kids are growing up so fast. In a lot of ways life is so much easier as they get older but is sad to watch them grow so quickly. Hailey has been playing a lot with all of the various dinosaur/dragon type presents she received. She herself becomes a dinosaur on a daily basis.
We celebrated Easter this month. It was a fun holiday. Hailey is really understanding all the holidays this year and I feel like we are having a bunch of first memories . I think next year she will remember Christmas and Easter, Halloween, etc from this year. She has been fun to watch. Both the kids just loved hunting for Easter eggs this year.
Tyler started T-Ball and is loving it. I'm realizing we are beginning "real" sports. Multiple practices and games each week. It is the beginning of many many years to come. A new phase really. And again I feel like the kids are growing up so fast. I'm looking forward to the fall when Hailey can play soccer and they can both have sports to go too. Hailey loves her dance and there may be some gymnastics in her future but she spends a lot of time hanging out at Tyler's practices and games. It's a siblings job I suppose.
Dave took a much anticipated Sergeant's test at work. He did well and now it's a matter of waiting to see if there is a Sargent position for him in the near or far future. We are lucky that he is very happy where he is at so whatever works out will be fine for him.
I feel like I spent the month preparing for Hailey's party and then Easter and now the quickly approaching vacation. I managed to get some portraits of the kids and family scrapbooked which made my heart very happy. A tiny scratch on the surface of scrapbooking I want to do. Outside of that, the usual managing of kids, schedules, and getting a little work done.
We have been making a big effort to eat healthier around here. It's been a gradual process over the last couple of years. I've learned a lot and it's something I really enjoy reading up on through blogs/books/etc. I've got a mountain of recipes I want to try and generally love cooking but sometimes it's hard to find the time (I really need 36 hour days). And the kids tastes aren't quite the same as ours.... I hit a rough patch this month that I suppose happens to everyone. I want to cook and make good food on the one hand and on the other I don't want to eat or feed anyone for a month. I'm just tired of feeding the kids constantly and trying to come up with good/healthy//interesting food. Same thing day in and day out :).
On the bright side, we only have days until we head off on our VACATION (insert loud cheering noises). It is going to be a much needed change of pace for all of us not to mention so much fun. I figure after a week of only eating out I should be more than ready to reach into the refrigerator again. I think the kids are going to be a really good age for this trip. Sure a little older might bet better, but I think everyone is old enough that we are just going to have great fun all day long and then come home and crash into bed at night. I'm sure they are both going to bring away some great memories.
The kids watch Dave and I exercise and know that it is good for you. We talk about eating healthy and how if helps you grow and be strong. We talk about how sugar tastes great but is not so good for our bodies. Along with our healthier eating, we cut out processed food as much as possible. Fewer crackers, fewer trips to McDonalds, fewer chicken nuggets and most dinner made fresh from home. It's something I'm passionate about. We still eat plenty of hamburgers and hotdogs and cookies and pizza. We are in no way deprived but the focus is on eating "real" food and knowing what "real" food is. A couple months ago Tyler got in the car from school and looked at me and said "Did you know there are chemicals in McDonalds cheeseburgers". It was the beginning of many discussions....discussions that Hailey has taken very seriously. Hailey is our super sweet tooth around here. Any thing that falls in the sugar, fat, salt category and she is good to go. As much as she likes her treats she is now all about telling us what is healthy and making healthy choices. Fortunately she loves her fruit and a few decent vegetables. Celery and healthy peanut butter is her got to food these days. Somewhere along the health line these last couple of months she's started flexing her "big" muscles for us. Now when you ask her how she did something she flexes her biceps and says "BAM" or "with these". We see it a lot every days. So in honor of her, I present our second set of photos. May all of us stay healthy, fit, and strong so we can run, and play, and enjoy the outdoors for many many years.
No comments:
Post a Comment